fbpx

How to train your cat to water. Practical advice .

Why do cats hate water?

No, this is not a whim or a flaw in character, but an instinctive fear. In nature, a wild cat will climb into the water, guided solely by the instincts of survival. There are exceptions, for example, tigers – swimmers and fishermen, who calmly endure water procedures due to the water-repellent structure of the wool cover. It just so happens that more than 80% of domestic cats hate bathing, and the remaining 20% ​​tolerate it. From the point of view of cat psychology, murmurs do not like water because their fur gets wet quickly, and water, especially with shampoo, dries out delicate skin. If you are hoping to “twist” the pet and redeem it “somehow” – leave the illusion, without washing the coat, you risk the health of the ward. In addition, true fear provokes animals to desperate actions, fighting charms and torn clothes are provided for you, and then, wet sneakers and ripped wallpaper as moral compensation for “outrage”. “Tactics” for training a cat to the bathroom Before you teach your cat not to be afraid of water, you need to overcome all the accompanying uncomfortable moments. Bring the animal into the bathroom on your hands, if the cat does not strain, try opening the water for a while. Calm down the ward, make it clear that he is protected, but be prepared, the sound of flowing water can plunge the cat into panic

Try to put the animal in a dry bath, most likely, the pet will immediately escape, but this is only the first stage. Make an agreement with your pet, do not try to wet the coat or make the cat not be afraid, forcing events will only add to the hassle. Gradually, patiently, agreeing to the conditions of the animal and only so!

 

Naturally, it is easier to accustom a kitten to water, a crumb who unconditionally trusts you will put up with it, or at least will tolerate water procedures after 3-4 “training swims”. It is difficult to train an adult cat, sometimes impossible. If the pet does not walk on the street, it is easier to redeem him quickly than torment him with months of training.

Preparation for bathing

Half of the success is quality preparation, especially when it comes to training an adult cat that has not yet experienced the “joys” of water procedures. You will need:

  • 2 shallow but wide water basins.
  • Comb with large, rounded teeth.
  • Sponge.
  • Capacity for pouring up to 250 ml in volume.
  • Large bedspreads or sheets.
  • Several thin and one bath towel.
  • Gloves and heavy clothing to protect the body.
  • Thermometer for water.
  • Shampoo , if needed.
  • It is very good if there is a “second pair of hands” to help.

How to train your cat to swim without unnecessary stress

 

  • One of the basins is completely filled, the other so that the water barely covers the bottom.
  • The water temperature is 38.5-39 degrees.
  • You and the assistant dress in ammunition and gloves.
  • The bathroom floor is fully covered.
  • Any “force majeure” will be accompanied by a bustle in which it is easy to slip.
  • Gently and slowly, holding the animal on top, we lower the cat’s paws into a basin without water.
  • The animal will strain and will coward with its paws – we calm it down, stroke it, hold it (there will be attempts to escape), we do not try to seat or lay it down. After wetting the sponge with water, run it over the animal’s fur and again soothe the pet.
  • As a result, the entire coat should be wet.
  • The exception is the muzzle and ears.
  • The second step is to lather the wool, if necessary.
  • We comb the “fur coat” with a comb.
  • In general, combing is necessary to remove foam if you use shampoo, but during training, we do not deviate from the algorithm.
  • Pour the cat from a small container several times.
  • Blot the wool with thin towels and wrap it in a bath. Take your time, but do not delay, the procedure is not pleasant and the sooner it ends the better.
  • Repeat the procedure no more than once a month, even bathing with clean water partially removes the protective layer of fat from the animal’s skin.

A few words about exactly how to hold the cat. Your grip should be strong, because you will have to hold the pet with one hand. Grab the skin fold on the withers of the animal, instinctively, the cat will calm down a little. Try to avoid the area under your belly – a comfortable position to attack with your hind legs. If the animal is in a panic, lift it, holding it by the skin at the withers, wrap it in a towel and take it out of the bathroom. Even if there is foam on the pet – act, the cat must be sure that you will come to the rescue at the right time. Foam residues can be removed with a damp towel, but trust is not easy to restore.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *